How to apply
Applications to the graduate programs in Art History are done through the Graduate School.
For General Information about the Application Process please see the Graduate School admissions.
The following application materials and information required by the Graduate School:
In order to submit the online application, everyone must pay the non-refundable application fee.
- Please see the FAQ about applying to UW-Madison here.
The following application materials are required by the Department:
- 3 Letters of Recommendation (Submitted online).
- 1 original, official transcript from each institution attended (Mail directly to Art History Department)
- GRE scores, and TOEFL if international (Submitted online).
- Writing sample – research paper up to 20 double-spaced pages (12 pt. font, normal margins). (Mail directly to Art History Department. Please also upload this document in special section of Supplemental Application after submitting your regular online application).
- Statement of reason/purpose (Mail statement of purpose directly to Art History Department. Please also be sure to upload this document in your main application and/or in the Supplemental Application).
- CV (Mail directly to Art History Department. Please also upload this document in special section of Supplemental Application after submitting your regular online application).
Mailed Material* should be submitted by December 15th (postmark) to:
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Department of Art History
800 University Avenue, Room 232
*please do not submit material to the Graduate School; it will not be forwarded to the department.
For questions, please contact Teddy Kaul (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Mark your Calendars
For all prospective students who have been accepted to our graduate program please plan on joining the Department of Art History for the annual Prospective Grad Student Welcome Days Event which is held on Thursday and Friday of the second week of March every year. Specific details will be sent out to all admitted students soon after students have been notified of their acceptance, but for planning purposes please note the following details as you set aside time for your campus visit:
The typical schedule includes a welcome reception which is held on the Thursday of the second week of March beginning ~ 5:30 PM. On Friday events begin with a light breakfast beginning at 9:00 AM and conclude with dinner beginning at 6:30 PM (typically lasts ~ 2 hrs.). The majority of guests arrive earlier in the day on Thursday and depart on Saturday morning but there are always some who like to arrive earlier and/or leave later so there is more time to explore the city.
*IMPORTANT: Please don’t make travel arrangements, or lodging accommodations, until you have received confirmation of being accepted into the Graduate Program AND have received details about the Welcome Event from the Graduate Program Coordinator: Teddy Kaul, email@example.com, 608-263-2373.