The Department of Art History individually mentors its majors toward careers in a wide range of fields. Our academic advisor and director of undergraduate studies are always available to discuss post degree options. We also work closely with the L&S Career Services office to help students best apply the knowledge and skills acquired in the art history major in conjunction with other certificates or majors. We encourage majors to seek information from art sistory faculty and advisors—as well as from L&S Advising—about career paths and internships; preparation for the job search; and applying to graduate school. Both the department and L&S also provide networking opportunities with professionals in the field (employers and alumni).
Undergraduate Academic Advisor: Teddy Kaul (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director of Undergraduate Studies: Quitman Phillips (email@example.com)
Declaring the Major
The College of Letters & Science encourages students to declare their major no later than the end of their sophomore year, and the Art History Department strongly supports this. Given the requirements of the department, students who do not declare by their junior year, regardless of their academic standing, should be prepared to add an extra two semesters to their undergraduate career.
Students interested in declaring should make an appointment with Teddy Kaul (firstname.lastname@example.org), Undergraduate Academic Advisor.
Before coming to the appointment, the following steps should be taken:
1. Obtain a “What If” DARS Report for Art History, available through the Student Center in MyUW. Unofficial transcripts may also be useful, especially if you are a transfer student; these can also be ordered through MyUW.
2. Print out your responses to our “Questionnaire for Art History Majors“ (also available in the Art History Department Office, 232 Elvehjem.)
3. Pick up a Major Declaration Form from the Dept. Office (or download it here). Fill out the top part of the form, and sign. PLEASE LIST ALL OTHER MAJORS. (* Non-L&S students, see important note below)
If you are declaring honors in the major, a separate form will be needed. You may pick this form up from the Dept. Office.
4. Pick up the appropriate checklist (Standard, Asian Option, Honors) from the department office, or print from this Web page.
Bring all of the above and meet with the Academic Advisor. Incomplete materials will not be accepted. If you cannot make it in during the listed office hours, please e-mail or call your advisor to make an appointment to meet at another time. Academic Advisor–Teddy Kaul (email@example.com)
Important Information for Non-L&S Students:
- If you wish to switch into the College of Letters & Science from another school/college in order to pursue a BA/BS in Art History, please make an appointment at 70 Bascom Hall (L&S Student Academic Affairs) to attend the brief workshop that will transfer you into the College. You may file your major declaration before you do the transfer workshop, but make sure they know that you have done so.
- If you are a non-L&S student wanting to double major, you need to take a copy of your declaration form to your “home” department (after you bring all declaration materials to our department.) Letters and Science will not process your declaration until it receives the go-ahead from your department/school.
Please click here for the Undergraduate Handbook.